Dermal rollers have been around for a looooooooong time (we’re talking since 7th century China here, folks) so these beauties are definitely what you could call “tried and tested”. And I can definitely see why they’re still being used today, well over 1000 years later.
On the physical side of things, rose quartz dermal rollers help to detoxify your skin, reduce inflammation, and increase circulation giving you a gorgeous glow (yay) and improving your skin tone. Not to mention they also help your products penetrate into your skin so they’re even more effective.
But - sorry to go a little woo-woo on you if that’s not your style! - there’s something special about the ritual of using a rose quartz dermal roller that goes beyond the skin benefits. I’m drawn to the simple elegance of it that’s grounding and *extremely* relaxing but at the same time it leaves you feeling completely uplifted.
Even if you don’t go in for the spiritual side of things, the facial massage that you get from your roller is going to relax the muscles in your face and neck, softening them. By getting rid of all that tension you’re going to smooth your skin out and your wrinkles will be that little bit less visible.
There are all sorts of rollers out there and I tried a few before settling on rose quartz as my favourite. It’s beautifully cool to touch and (woo-woo alert!) the gentle nurturing and heart-opening energy just seemed to be a perfect match for us here at Happy Skincare (and just happened to be what I’ve been needing at the moment)! :)
Get to know your Rose Quartz Dermal Roller
For the best results, you should check that your roller is actually made from rose quartz and not just plastic. You’ll know that your roller is made from real rose quartz it’s cool to touch.
Once we’ve got that sorted, you can pick up your roller by its handle (that’s the long bit in the middle). You’ll see that it has 2 ends - a big end and a little end.
Use the big end for larger areas of your face and the little end for more delicate or hard to reach areas.
And that’s it! Pretty simple. Now… are you ready to roll?
How to use your Rose Quartz Dermal Roller
There are actually 2 ways to use your dermal roller, and I like to do them both, one after the other.
Whichever method you’re using, the important things to remember are:
- Hold your roller gently - all you need is a feather touch. You’re not ironing out wrinkles!
- Always roll in one direction, not back and forth.
- Start with clean skin.
- You can use your roller just after applying your favourite serum or moisturiser to help it penetrate, or you could also just use it on dry skin - it’s up to you :)
- Roll over each area 3 or so times before moving to the next area.
- To make your roller experience next-level, try putting it in the fridge or freezer for 10-20 minutes before using it. It feels incredible and the cool stone will be especially good and helping with puffy eyes.
For our visual people, a video showing how to use your rose quartz dermal roller :)
Method #1 - Detox
First you want to use your dermal roller to detoxify your skin and promote lymph drainage. This method is very calming and can help with inflammation too.
The direction that you’re rolling is quite important for this step - you’ll be rolling horizontally on your face, and then downwards from your ear to your collarbone.
- Starting on one side of your face, roll from the center of your chin to your ear 3 times
- Roll from your ear down your neck to your collarbone
- Work your way up your face, moving next to your cheeks, always rolling horizontally from the center out to your ears/hairline, and then down to your collarbone again.
- Don’t forget to switch to the small end for your eye area.
- Finish on your forehead, rolling horizontally out to your hairline and then down to your collarbone.
- Repeat on the other side of your face.
Method #2 - Invigorate
This method is a bit more vigorous and it will promote blood flow and give you lovely renewal, plumping and glow. The good news is that there’s not as much thinking required for this method either ;)
- With a *slightly* heavier touch than Method #1, start at the base of your neck and roll up to your chin, repeating 3 times before moving to the next section of your neck.
- Then, starting at your chin, work your way up your face in upward rolling motions.
- Close your eyes and enjoy the moment!
How often should I be using my roller?
If you fall in love with your new roller ritual you can use your roller every day, in the morning and evening.
If that sounds like a bit too much work for you, go with 3 times a week (and to mix things up a bit don’t forget our tip about putting your dermal roller in the freezer - it’s soooooooo gooooooooood!) :)